DISQUS

Friday 10 January 2014

MORE IN TWENTY-ONE-FOUR

I have a little 'ditty' going around inside me today. "You will give more to the one who will ask for more". It's from a song of Sarah Edwards in a recent IHOP prayer room feed. As I tune in to this word from God to me that He has put in my spirit I reflect on a quote I read last week from the famous 19th century Baptist preacher and pastor, Charles Spurgeon. He is quoted as saying; 
"Whether we like it or not, asking is the rule of the Kingdom. If you may have everything by asking in His name, and nothing without asking, I beg you to see how absolutely vital prayer is."
This is held out by the apostle James when he says, "You have not because you ask not..."
I have to interrogate myself here. Why is it that asking God on a genuine, continuous and consistent level is so much of a challenge? Why? Is it because I'm too 'busy', or perhaps I should say 'preoccupied' with endless activity? Is it because I don't recognise - truly recognise - my need for the miraculous provision of God if I am ever going to truly fulfil everything He has preferred for me? Is it because I live in a cultural mindset of human self-sufficiency which denies our true and deepest needs? Am I too proud? Too ashamed? Too unbelieving? Disappointed with perceived past failures? Or is it that I shy away from the kind of intimacy the Jesus loves, where we walk and talk together moment by moment, year through year?
I'm guessing it is all of the above, and more. But I take courage from the fact that He has lovingly reminded me of the option available to me today, and my heart asks, "Help to ask! Help me to pray!". The outcome, I know, will be 'more' in 2014 - twenty-one-four.

No comments:

Post a Comment